Thursday, July 16, 2009

New CGE setup and align.


I'd just like to say a few words about the setup and aligning of my new CGE mount.
First I did a two star align with the recommended stars from the hand controller, then to correct the cone error I used three stars again from the HC.
I then did a polar align using the star Navi in Cassiopeia, with the All-Star Polar Alignment. I then proceeded to adjust the mount with the allan key and that was that, easy.
I then went to Jupiter, low on the horizon, and bingo it was almost dead centre.
After which, I thought that I would have a go at imaging, and guess what? there is almost no drift at all, except for maybe a bit of PEC.
I'm well pleased:-) I can leave the planet on the chip now without having to do those annoying tweaks and adjustments all the time.
All I need now is a clear night to sought the PEC out with Celestrons 'PEC tool' and I should be all set.

Just a quick note; I upgraded the Hand conrollers software earlier today to revision 4.16. This allows for all star polar align without having to re-align afterwards, neat eh?

BTW. I found out (thanks to the guys at CN :-) ) that the CGE manual is not up to date with 4.16 and you'll need to download the CGEM manual for instructions on this revision.