Friday, March 19, 2010

LROC data now on-line.

If you're a Moon nut like me, or just like like looking at rocks, go to the LROC map below. Where there is 10 Terabytes (that is 10 million Megabytes!) of camera data to sift through. The first formal release of orbiter data.
That got me thinking, I've got over 4 Terabytes of data myself from the stuff I've been doing over the years!!

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) map site.

Below is an extract from image: EDR: LRO-L-LROC-2-EDR-V1.0/M111661378RE CDR: LRO-L-LROC-3-CDR-V1.0/M111661378RC, (just rolls off the tongue) showing one of the slopes of Tycho's central peak.

Tips on using the image browser; Click 'Toggle Layers' (blue panel) and select 'LROC NACs' selection boxes.Select 'Lunar Orbiter Mosaic' radio button then 'Update Layers' button.

Select on right-hand pane the 'Recenter & Zoom' radio button.

When you zoom in enough, you will see red rectangle boxes. Click inside one of the boxes to select the area. An image thumbnail will appear below. Click on the thunbnail and zoom away!

Simples... apart from the fact that you need a high speed internet link, which I have - 50Mb - hehe